The Surly Long Haul Trucker is designed for bicycle touring where you need to be able to ride in comfort for long periods and also dependably carry your gear. This bike is also used by some people for bicycle commuting.
What is good about the Surly Long Haul Trucker
Made of steel – when you are riding over cobblestones in Europe or some rough pavement in North America you will appreciate the more solid construction it provides over aluminum, I know I do. Steel is more easily repaired than aluminum, carbon fiber or titanium should you ever need to have the frame repaired..
Different sizes – to fit you there are 26″ wheels and with 700c wheels is several frame sizes in velvet blue or dark green colors.
Rack compatible – have two sets of eyelets on the dropouts as well as at proper mid-blade height, and 5 x 0.8mm bosses built into the side of the crown. All this makes the fork compatible with most types of racks, and provides options how you can mount racks and carry your stuff when bicycle touring.
Room for fenders – its low bottom bracket and long chainstays provide comfort and stability. We gave it ample tire clearance for larger tires (larger tires soak up a lot of road static) with room for fenders too. Although fenders are not included you may wish to consider them to stop that trail of mud down the back of your jersey.
Touring Gears – the Andel triple crankset and Shimano Deore 11-34 cassette offer 27 gears for easy riding through the countryside. With Shimano you are more likely to have available parts at bicycle repair shops.
Surly Long Haul Trucker Features and Specifications
- 4130 ChroMoly steel frame and fork offer the great handling
- Geared for touring, the Andel triple crankset and Shimano Deore 11-34 cassette offer 27 wide-ranging gears for easy riding
- Shimano bar-end shifters offer easy shifts
- Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes supply sure speed management and offer plenty of clearance for fenders
- Stout 36-hole Alex Adventurer rims, Shimano XT hubs and WTB Slickasaurus (26 in.) or Continental Travel Contact (700c) tires combine to supply smooth, sturdy rolling
- Frame features eyelets for fenders and racks (sold separately)
- 3 water bottle mounts for the hydration you need
- Pump peg
- Chainstay spoke holder and downtube lever bosses
- Available in several sizes and two colors
What customers say about the Surly Long Haul Trucker
There were quite a few positive reviews for this touring bicycle. Numerous reviewers stated that this is the best long distance touring bicycle on the market. They found it to be very steady and dependable while riding, both when loaded and not.
Many reviewers remarked about how comfortable it rides. One reviewer said that “when riding with a group I can easily ride at 19-20mph even with my fenders and racks on it.”
If you need a strong and dependable touring bike then the Surly Long Haul Trucker is considered by many to be the best available and comes highly recommended.